Skip to main content

Dhoom 3- My take



The most awaited movie boasts of ending the year with a bang. Box office-wise, yes, Dhoom 3 is doing a wonderful job, but content and writing wise, is it really such a Dhoom?
When I first went to watch Dhoom, I had low expectations. Fast bikes didn't really appeal to me and I thought for sure it would be a complete "guy" movie.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it a thrilling movie- action packed, great songs and commendable acting by all actors. All the actors looked good and the actresses had prominent roles.
Then Dhoom 2 came along and it became obvious that Dhoom was going to be a stylish big-budgeted franchise. Dhoom 2 delivered in all aspects and was an upgrade from the previous movie. Big names were attached to the project, the songs were great, the costumes were chic and the action and thrill scenes were mind-blowing.
When Dhoom 3 was announced, my expectations peaked. This was going to be better than Dhoom 2 and I awaited the release impatiently. The trailer came out and bore resemblance to the Hollywood flick 'Now you see me...'. My excitement lessened but I was curious of how it would be handled in a Bollywood flick.
The one thing about Dhoom movies are the amazing songs. Dhoom 3 didn't have memorable songs and my excitement lessened further. Nevertheless, it was a 'Dhoom' movie and I was certain my mind would change when I eventually watched it.

First things first, Dhoom 3 is not ripped off from 'Now you see me' though after the movie was over, I wish it had been. Here's why:
Aamir Khan is attached to the movie and usually that means that the content would be great and his acting would be spot on since he is known to be a perfectionist. The only thing I kept wondering throughout the movie was why he was scowling so much. It made him look comical instead of intense.

Secondly, the movie has a real slow start compared to the previous installments. It starts with a flashback and I think, writing-wise, perhaps the story would have come together better had the flashback been placed later on in the story. The movie takes a long time to actually start and by that time my mind is already wandering.
The other characters are introduced- Jai and Ali and I have to say that unlike the previous movies, the action sequences were cheesy. I'm sure the director was going for classy with all the slow motion effects but it came off so comical that I almost burst out laughing.
Aliya, the only actress in the movie (the detective hardly counts) has a two-bit role. She has three songs and that's about it. No scenes for her before or after the songs- so yeah, I see a great future for actresses in this franchise. That was me being sarcastic. The only reason I could think that Katrina Kaif had taken up this role was due to some contractual obligation or why else would she take a role that relegates her, at this point in her career?

Her costumes do nothing for her except expose her legs and her dance steps are hardly graceful. Katrina is a fine dancer, she could have been given steps that challenge her abilities. Another minus point.

Like the other movies, Dhoom 3 too has a twist towards the interval and that is the one thing that saves the otherwise lackluster first half. The second half redeems the movie. Aamir gets to prove he can do more than just scowl in the movie. I won't give away the twist but I guess I should have seen it coming.

Thereafter, the movie garners some momentum and the lost attention of the viewer is finally captured. There are some plot holes. For example, Sahir (Aamir Khan) runs down the side of the building without a mask, yet no one recognizes him. There are street cameras and surveillance cameras in other stores surrounding the bank, right? Right? No? Oh....okay.

The police have ample opportunities to shoot him or his bike, but Aamir bests them every time therefore showing that policemen are incapable of doing their job- just like in every movie ever. The action scenes in the second half are repetitive and again laughable. The climax is a letdown.

Dhoom 3 lacks style, finesse, a good story, thrilling action scenes and melodious songs. It is in my opinion, a downgrade of the previous movies. The film relies too much on flashbacks which distracts the viewer from the narrative. On the plus side, Abhishek finally shines in a Dhoom movie and his acting shows sincerity. Uday has a role even less than Katrina's.

This in an Aamir Khan movie and not a Dhoom movie at all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily