Skip to main content

New Year, New Me

I keep saying that: A New Year and a New Me. I've written this anywhere and everywhere, but the truth is, I changed a lot last year. I felt things I thought I wasn't capable of feeling and did things I thought I didn't have the courage to do so.
Also, who knew I could be vindictive as well? I didn't.

Last year, I met a few people, befriended them and was surprised to learn that their initial reaction toward me, wasn't their true opinion of me. It took some time for me to learn that those I thought were my friends did not respect me. Respect works both way. I showed them respect and they didn't. Sometimes it was easier to walk away, other times, I wouldn't go without a fight.

It was the latter that surprised me- I had changed! I wasn't about to let anyone disrespect me and cheat me. I'm not entirely proud of what I did, but I'm not sorry I stood up for myself either. That was one of the things I badly needed to do.

Further down the year, I learned a lot of things and met some new people. Were they true friends? Only time would tell. And it did. Another thing about friendship was that I was sharing opinions and giving the other person a chance to get to know me. What did the other person do? Nothing.

I'm not expecting a whole life history- but to think the other person didn't trust me enough to engage in a proper conversation, that was something that annoyed me. So yes, this person would never be the best of my friends and I do need people in my life that are more dependable than that- who respected and trusted me. After all, I had done both for them.

Moving on, last year also revealed something else about me- I was capable of jealousy.
This was something I did not expect. If anyone asked me what I was jealous of, I would wave it off and say- Nothing. Jealousy only came when I wanted something the other person had and so far I hadn't come across anyone who had made me want to feel the sharp piercings of envy.

I wanted something the other person had. I wanted the career success she was having, because I was and am tired of waiting to be found. She was found and she got what I wanted. I am happy for her, but honestly- I am jealous her wait is over and mine is still going on and on.

Apart from all that- all the betrayal I felt, the self-discovery and everything else, I also made a small sacrifice. Pain brings out either the best or the worst in people. I'm still figuring out what change that brought in me and whether or not the personal sacrifice I made was indeed worth making.

This year begins for me only on hope. I hope things will get better. I hope I make some nice friends who respect me. I hope I find some career success and I hope I get to discover the nice things in me as well. Everyone has something nice in them, right?

Hopefully this year will reveal my strengths :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily