Skip to main content

San Giorgio Maggiore at Dusk by Claude Monet (My favorite painting)



Painted by Claude Monet, this is one of my favorite paintings. An impressionist, Claude Monet painted this after he came back from his visit to Venice. While there, he was so entranced by the sights, the he only made "impressions" of what he saw since he believed that Venice was too beautiful to paint and he refused to paint structures that had already been depicted in paintings by various artists.

The reason I'm in love with this painting is because of two things.

The first is that Venice is my dream city- a place I would like to visit someday in the unforeseeable future. I've been obsessed with it ever since I played Assassin's Creed 2 and had the chance to catch a glimpse of what this beautiful city must have looked like more than five hundred years ago in the Renaissance period.
The painting was painted years later and I wondered if perhaps Venice's natural beauty would be marred and hidden by thousands of advertisement billboards or graffiti or anything else that would tarnish the beautiful structures. So Monet's impression of what he saw when he was in Venice, is perfect. It is from far away and he uses colors and small brush strokes to bring about the form of the building.

The other reason I find this painting enticing is because of the sunset. Yes, sunsets are unquestionably beautiful. It is the time of day when the sky turns into a beautiful shade of golden orange and for some reason there's always peace surrounding it. But what I really like about sunsets is when the sun has receded further down and the sky turns into a giant rainbow. That was my impression of dusk when I was a kid. I always imagined there was a giant rainbow with blues, greens, orange and yellows somewhere in the universe that we could see when the sun would set.
That moment is filled with wonder for me and so what drew me to this painting was the colors of dusk serving as a background to my dream city.


I imagined this is what art is all about- to bring about emotions in the audience and fill them with wonder. This painting transports me in a world I wish I was in, that is filled with wonder and tranquility.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily