Skip to main content

The Black Square by Kazimir Malevich-- My Take



Kazimir Malevich, the founder of Suprematism, believed that Suprematist art would be superior to all the art of the past, and that it would lead to the "supremacy of pure feeling or perception in the pictorial arts”.

Painted in 1915, The Black Square is often regarded as Malevich’s “royal, living infant.” The Black Square is just that- a black square painted over a white background. This has become a major landmark in abstract art and attracted the cynicism of many.

Why exactly is this art? The question has many answers.

Though some defend it by saying that it is actually a very complex painting requiring knowledge of colors, compositions and proportions, others still see it as a square that could be drawn by any kindergarten student.

Art has always been defined as an expression of skill and imagination that could be appreciated only by the feelings it evokes. The Black Square intends to do just that. Malevich believed that the visual was never important and that the only significant thing was the feeling that was brought about.
He believed that Suprematism art was pure and didn’t need to be embodied in bright colors. A simple object, in his opinion, could bring forth emotions that the conscious mind would not allow.
If that is the case and if art is really more about what you “feel” rather than what you “see”, then I too have my own interpretation of the Black Square.

My first thought, when I saw the painting, was that it was a dark square contained within a white frame. I didn’t like it and I couldn’t understand why. Every time I came across it on a website or search results, I would look away from it. It gave off an ominous feeling that I couldn’t comprehend.
Eventually, I stopped myself from turning away from this piece and made myself look at it and explain to myself why I didn’t like it. What came to my mind was the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde wherein the doctor truly believed that there was good and evil inside all of us and his experiment was to separate the two from himself. Obviously that didn’t go too well and I’m digressing….

The reason it made me think of that classic was that The Black Square represented the human soul to me wherein the Black square symbolized the evil and the white was the good part of the soul that was trying to contain the evil growing within it.

I turned away from that idea and tried to look at the painting differently. But nope, that ominous feeling refused to be shrugged off. My second thought was that it was the soul of a person with not very nice intentions who had put on a façade oh “white” to deceive people into thinking that he was trustworthy.

Quite a story I wrote in my mind about a painting, but that thought made more and more sense to me. The painting showed what we could all become if we didn’t “box” our evil side.
I can’t quite imagine what Malevich must have thought when he painted that. Perhaps he wanted to show a different side of the abstract movement or perhaps he wanted to show that art could be simple and still arouse emotions from the viewer.


Regardless of his intentions, it is definitely one of those pieces whose meaning perplexes everyone till today. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily