Skip to main content

A Writer's Nightmare



Imagine having a dream so big, so vivid, that you feel disappointed when it ends. Or when you know that you have to wake up at some point. It’s a dream. Dreams don’t ever come true.

Every waking moment feels sheer drudgery. Without that essence of a dream, life becomes melancholic. Bland, even. Real life is far from fiction, that much is blatantly obvious. Real life, all those moments encompassed in a day, all of it is beyond control.

In the fiction world, there is safety in knowing that the world will only collapse when you want it to. When it gets too much, there is that sense of relief, that all of it will not engulf you and destroy the characteristics that made you, you.
Fiction world is where sanity exists. It is where happiness lies. It’s a dream that doesn’t depend on waking up.

As a writer, I’ve had many such realizations, epiphany too sometimes. It is not an easy road to travel. The words in my head turned into a story that needed to be written. The story became my excuse to regain some of my sanity when things in my real life got too hard. I escaped, found solace in a world created by my imagination. The characters- some of them were my friends, the protagonist was me.

Everything seemed so easy at first. Write what you want, shape a story the way you want to, create the characters and give them your chosen personalities. It was fun. I was writing and I was always having fun.

The characters were given the breath of life, the story was mystical, I found out that I did somewhat have a knack for creating stories. Unique, dark, funny.

It is when the final word is written in the manuscript when the full stop is added, that is when the real world, rips open your imaginative world and drags you out. The real world is heartless and not afraid to show the truth.

Because the truth is, the story that I fell in love with, the characters I birthed, needed someone to bring it to the people- the readers. Not every publisher was willing to sign. Not everyone found my cherished stories appealing. There were a lot of rejections.

There were some cruel moments- I was offered a contract for my first story, then told months later that the company had dissolved and the rights were being returned to the authors. I hadn’t received mine on time and had wasted months not sending it off to another publisher.

Opportunity came knocking and I finally found an epublisher who offered me a contract. I sold a few books, people were reading and reviewing my stories on a popular ebook store.

Then things turned again. After my third published book, the online bookstore suddenly closed down. The publishing company’s marketing team broke up. Suddenly there were no promotions being done. No good site where people would buy books.

Another career setback. I thought things would be easy as a writer. I really did.

There were arguments, frustrations and finally after my fourth book, I sought another publisher. Things went awry again. The publishers weren’t that honest with their sales reports. I was never paid and had to go find another one.

I did. Then I found that company had been sued by a disgruntled author. I had already signed and the owners sold the company. The new owners delayed the release of my book for a year, then did nothing to promote it from their side.

Eventually I found a fourth publisher, and finally, they were easy to work with and thorough professionals. Of course, in spite of it all, I was hit by a terrifying realization. As an author, my job role didn’t only consist of writing stories but also promoting my work.

I have a marketing degree, so it should have been easy right? Nope.

It’s hard getting a book noticed by readers and harder still to garner enough of their interests to generate sales.

The world had changes distractedly and now, most readers preferred the lazy option: free books or wait for bestsellers to be made into movies. No one has any time to read and discover new writing and authors anymore.

But the words have not stopped knocking on the door of my imagination. My characters still beg to breathe. I can’t stop writing, but I can also no longer make it my only career option. After all, if I write it all, create a world of fantasy and horror, who will read it?



Change begets change. The world has changed and so must I.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily