Skip to main content

Curious incident or a Haunting?



Ten years ago, my family and I moved into a new apartment. The building was brand new and it felt great to be surrounded by brand new fittings. Everything was clean and tidy. The walls were newly painted, the tiles sparkling. The windows didn’t have a speck on them.

A few days later, a dark handprint appeared on top of the window. There was no reason why it should be there. The building cleaners couldn’t have reached it until they used a ladder. And what for anyway?

After that, I noticed a handprint near my bed. And it was then that a strange cold feeling crept over me. I did try not to overthink it all too much, after all, I am a writer with an active imagination. My love for horror was obviously making me believe that the ghosts and demons in my stories were real.

I ignored what I felt for days. The dark, gloomy feeling that had taken over me, that sudden tightening in my chest whenever I walked down the small passage to my room, all of it was disregarded by my logical side of the brain.

One day, while I was in the kitchen looking for a snack in the fridge, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. A fuzzy, dark figure that sped across the passage. It had either entered my parents’ bedroom or mine. I couldn’t be sure.

I ignored it once again, though I was certain I knew what I had seen. Still, Logical me said it was a trick of my weary brain. That or a manifestation of something I imagined while watching a horror movie or reading a Stephen King novel.

The second time I saw it, I wasn’t half-asleep. Something was there. No, someone. The black fuzziness had smoothed. Colors were beginning to seep into the figure. He was wearing a cream-colored jacket. The face was still unrecognizable but he stayed glued to one spot in the passage. He was either trying to enter a bedroom. Since both bedrooms are side by side, I couldn’t be sure which.

I still remember how scared I had been. I could no longer be quiet. I told my family my doubts, knowing I wouldn’t be believed. Even told my friends. After being told all around that I had too much of an imagination, the people who cared about me asked me to perform a prayer.

I did what I could and a few days later, the house didn’t feel gloomy anymore. The anger that was attached to the apparition wasn’t felt anymore. Something worked. The prayers, I guess.

I want to believe that I was rid of the ghost or whatever it was. All that was left behind from that incident was an idea.

Aadita wasn’t only a result of one incident. It’s a book that combines two of the most impactful incidents in my lifebullying and possibly a haunting.

Maybe what I saw was just a trick of my mind, but what I felt afterward like a burden had been lifted off me, that can’t be denied.

Whatever it was, it gave me the inspiration to write a horror novelAadita.


Just like in the novel, I wondered if there was a reason that ghost/apparition made its presence felt.  

I’m just thankful that I no longer see it anymore. Even after watching more horror movies now than I ever did. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily