Skip to main content

Meet the Author-- Debbie De Louise








Debbie De Louise is an award-winning author and a reference librarian at a public library on Long Island. She is a member of International Thriller Writers, Sisters-in-Crime, the Long Island Authors Group, and the Cat Writer’s Association. She has a BA in English and an MLS in Library Science from Long Island University.

Her novels include the three books of the Cobble Cove cozy mystery series published by Solstice Publishing: A Stone's Throw, Between a Rock and a Hard Place, and Written in Stone. Debbie has also published a romantic comedy novella featuring a jewel heist caper, When Jack Trumps Ace, and has written articles and short stories for several anthologies of various genres. She lives on Long Island with her husband Anthony, daughter Holly, and Cat Stripey.


I had a chance to ask Debbie some questions ahead of the release of Solstice Publishing's mystery anthology: Plots & Schemes Vol. 2 in which she has contributed two stories.

1. When did you realize you wanted to become a writer?

Becoming a writer was a dream I had since I was young. I always loved reading and admired authors of my favorite books.   


2. How many hours in a day do you dedicate to your writing?

I put aside an hour in the morning before work, but I put in a lot of other time editing, blogging, and promoting my writing. When I’m working on a project, I try to write 1,000 words a day.

3. Have you ever suffered from writer’s block? If so, how did you overcome it?

I can’t say that I’ve suffered from writer’s block. I usually have more ideas than I have time to write, but when I get stuck, I take a break and then come back to it. Ruminating over a scene at bedtime or in the early morning before I get out of bed usually helps, too.

4. How many books have you written so far?
I’ve had 5 published novels so far but have other old completed manuscripts and two current ones that I’m hoping to publish at a later date. I also have a published novella. My Cobble Cove mystery series consists of three books, and I just finished the first draft of the fourth. I’ll also be reprinting my first, self-published paranormal romance, Cloudy Rainbow, with my publisher, Solstice Publishing.

5. What has been the biggest accomplishment, you feel, has been in your writing career so far?

Although not related to my books, I received a monetary award and an engraved plaque from Hartz Corporation for my article, Brush Your Cat for Bonding, Beauty, and Better Health, that I wrote about grooming cats for Catster.com and entered in the Cat Writers Association contest in their special awards category. The article featured my now deceased Siamese, Oliver, and my cat Stripey. More recently, I received a Certificate of Excellence for my short story, “The Path to Rainbow Bridge” myBook.to/RainbowBridge that is also up for the Cat Writer Association’s Muse Medallion that will be awarded in June.  

6. What is your latest book about?


Here is the blurb to Reason to Die:

Someone is strangling disabled people in the small town of Baxter, Connecticut. Detective Courtney Lang and her ex-partner and ex-lover, wheelchair-bound Bill Thompson, are paired up again and put in charge of the investigation. During the course of their search, Courtney uncovers information that points toward a connection between the murders and an unsolved series of muggings by a masked man, the same man who shot and disabled Bill a year ago on the night he proposed marriage to her.

Complicating matters for Courtney is her guilt about Thompson’s shooting, her affair with her new partner, Mark Farrell, and her unresolved feelings over the deaths of her mother and sister who perished in a fire while she was away from home.

As the deaths accrue and the “Handicapped Strangler” as the killer is coined by the press continues to rampage the town adding victims of different ages, sex, and disabilities to the murder count, Courtney discovers a clue that could crack open the case but may put her and Bill’s life in jeopardy.


7. What inspired you to write it and what are the challenges you faced while working on it?

I had a dream that featured the main theme of the plot that I later developed and expanded. The biggest challenge was portraying handicapped people because, although my husband is disabled, I’m not.


8. Do you read different genre books from the one you write in? And do you prefer reading paperbacks or ebooks?

I’m a librarian, so I enjoy reading (and also writing) various genres, although most of what I read and write are mysteries. I prefer paperbacks, but I also occasionally read eBooks on my Kindle Fire.


9. If you could turn one of your books into a movie or a play, which one would it be?

I think my new release, Reason to Die, would make a great movie. My Cobble Cove books would make a nice Hallmark cozy TV series.


10. Are you working on anything new?

I just finished the first draft of the fourth Cobble Cove mystery and two of my short stories, “Murder at the Lavender Lake Library” and “Bullet in the Back” are included in Solstice Publishing’s Plots & Schemes, Vol. 2 mystery anthology releasing May 4. I also hope to get back to another standalone mystery I started and haven’t had a chance to finish


Check out some of Debbie's other books: 















Find out more about Debbie here: 



Don't forget to watch out for the release of Solstice Publishing's Mystery Anthology Plots & Schemes Vol. 2 releasing on May 4th 2018



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily