Skip to main content

Meet the Author: Laurel Heidtman




Meet Laurel Heidtman, a talented author. 


1. When did you realize you wanted to become a writer?

I’ve wanted to be a writer since I was a child. My undergrad degree was English with a Creative Writing Emphasis, but then instead of sticking to my dreams, I chose a steady paycheck. I wrote a little over the years, but it wasn’t until I retired from outside work that I decided it was way past time to do something about achieving my goal.


2. How many hours in a day do you dedicate to your writing?

Not as many as I should—or at least not on a regular schedule. That’s something I’m trying to change. Too often I don’t write at all, but other times I write a lot. Nearly every day I do something related to writing, though, such as marketing.


3. Have you ever suffered from writer’s block? If so, how did you overcome it?

I don’t think I’ve ever suffered from it. Nike’s motto of “Just do it” works for writing as well as athletics. It doesn’t mean what I write will be a keeper, of course, but even writing something bad seems to prime the pump for more that’s better.


4. How many books have you written so far?

Nine under two names: Laurel Heidtman and Lolli Powell. Including a three-book set of my first three Eden mysteries, I’ve published ten.


5. What has been the biggest accomplishment, you feel, has been in your writing career so far?

Completing and publishing my first book, Catch A Falling Star (An Eden Mystery). That was the hardest because, with the first book, I wasn’t sure I could even finish it, much less write anything worth reading. It was an incredibly good feeling holding the paperback of that first book in my hands and an even better feeling when I paged through it, reading at random, and thought, “I’d read this.”

I’m also proud of the fact that in 2016 I won a Bronze award in the Adult Fiction Category of The Wishing Shelf Independent Book Awards. That was for The Body on the Barstool, the first book in my Top Shelf cozy mystery series published under my Lolli Powell pseudonym. Then in 2017, I won the Bronze in the same contest and category for the second book in the series, Whiskey Kills.


6. What is your latest book about?

My latest book is A Convenient Death (An Eden Mystery). It’s the third in my Eden mystery series. It begins with the discovery of a double murder inside a convenience store. At first, it appears to be a robbery gone wrong, but obviously, there’s a lot more to the story.


7. What inspired you to write it and what are the challenges you faced while working on it?

The idea was based on a double murder that occurred inside a convenience store in the mid-size city where I used to be a police officer. The night shift clerk and a customer were killed, and it was never solved. The similarity ends with the gender of the two victims, however, since I made up everything else.

As far as challenges while writing it, the biggest challenge was making sure I and the readers could keep the cast of characters straight. My detective, Jo Valentine, has a long list of suspects ranging from more than one jealous spouse to drug dealers to armed robbers. I found a way to keep it straight, though, and it must have worked since I’ve had one review that specifically mentions I did a good job of it. Whew!


8. Do you read different genre books from the one you write in? And do you prefer reading paperbacks or ebooks?

I read just about every genre, but I’d say mysteries and thrillers are my favorites. As far as paperbacks or e-books, I think e-books are the greatest invention since sliced bread! I wish they’d come along earlier. All my life I lugged around hundreds of books every time I moved. Now that I’ve been in the same house for nearly 30 years, technology comes up with a way to move hundreds of books in my purse! I love not only their portability but also that I can make the type any size I want, look up a word I don’t know, or research a fact or historical event that’s mentioned without moving from my chair. I don’t get as much exercise as I got lugging books, but you can’t have everything.


9. If you could turn one of your books into a movie or a play, which one would it be?

I think Whiteout might make a good thriller movie. I’ve also had a couple of readers say that The Gift would make a good Hallmark TV movie. Hey, Hallmark, you listening?


10. Are you working on anything new?

I’m working on Name Your Poison, my third Top Shelf cozy mystery. I’m ashamed to say I’m moving slowly on it—spring fever, I think—but at least I’m moving.

I’m also starting revisions to a crime thriller titled Death Notice that I’ll publish under the Laurel Heidtman name.


11. What are your thoughts on the horror genre? Do you enjoy watching horror movies and reading horror books?

I love a good horror novel, movie, or TV show. I grew up on the black and white horror shows of the fifties—you know, the ones with spiders and things that were mutated by radiation. It was a great childhood! Hah! Had a lot of nightmares that rivaled the movies, but they didn’t leave me scarred for life, so it’s all good. One of my all-time favorite horror book and movie is The Exorcist. And nowadays? The Walking Dead, The Stain, American Horror Story—love all of them!

One of these days I’d like to try writing a horror novel. I’m not sure I can do it, but I’d like to try. So far all the monsters in the books I’ve written have all been human.


AUTHOR BIO:

I’m retired from the nine-to-five life and live with my husband, three dogs and two cats inside Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky. I publish mysteries and thrillers as Laurel Heidtman, as well as romances and cozy mysteries as Lolli Powell.

Over the years, I’ve paid the bills by being a dancer, a bartender, a police officer, a registered nurse and a technical writer. Now I’m drawing on that life experience and my two English degrees to create stories that I enjoy writing and hope readers enjoy reading.

Check out her books here: 

BOOK LINKS:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily