Skip to main content

All That is Left excerpt





“I can’t get over what
happened in high school. I can’t understand how you were
able to. That incident refuses to leave my thoughts.”
Shanaya narrowed her eyes. “What are you talking
about?” she asked incredulously. “Of course I think about it
every day, but I also know that it wasn’t my fault. I had
nothing to do with what happened to her.”
“It was our fault,” Aaron told her and dropped her
hands. “If Misha hadn’t seen us together, she wouldn’t
have walked away from the school. She would have waited
for her father to pick her up, but she was so brokenhearted
that she...she was kidnapped because of what we did to
her.”
Shanaya shook her head. “No, Aaron. You have to
stop blaming yourself and me for that. We couldn’t have
predicted that she would be taken.”
“She was your best friend. Don’t you feel any
remorse?” Aaron asked.
Shanaya crossed her arms. “I did. But I didn’t have
the foresight to see what was going to happen next. Neither
did you, Aaron. I refuse to live in guilt over something we
have no control over. What happened to Misha was terrible,
but it’s not like we had her kidnapped.” Then she stared at
him and blinked. “I don’t understand why you’re bringing
this up now. It happened years ago, Aaron. You never
brought it up before. Why now?”
Aaron squeezed his eyes shut and took out his cell
phone. He brought up the browser and typed Misha’s name.
“Because of this,” he said, holding up the phone so that she
could read the news article.
Shanaya read the headlines and her mouth dropped
again. “Oh.”
Aaron turned the screen back to him. “She’s been
declared dead. The officials say that since she hasn’t been
found in all these years, then there’s little chance that she
survived her kidnapping. The statistics of kidnapped
victims surviving is disheartening. This article came out a
few weeks ago. Ever since I read it, I just can’t get Misha
out of my mind.”
“Oh my god.” Shanaya turned pale. “I can’t believe
this.”
Aaron put a hand on her shoulder and felt how cold
her skin was. “I didn’t know how to tell you this.”
“What of her parents?” Shanaya said. “They must
be devastated.”
“I’ve been running as far as possible from our home
town,” Aaron said. “And now all I feel is guilt. She was my
girlfriend and when she was kidnapped, I wasn’t even there
for her parents.”
“I was best friends with her,” Shanaya said
tearfully. “I knew her parents since I was a kid. And I never
bothered to call them and ask them if they were doing
okay.”
Aaron opened his briefcase and took out a bottle of
water. “Here.”
Shanaya shook her head and pushed the bottle
away. “Are we terrible people?”
“No,” Aaron said and let out a breath. “Just guilty.”

Get the book on Amazon Kindle 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Limehouse Golem- My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: When Elizabeth's husband is found dead, all fingers point to her. But is it really her or the work of a serial killer? If like me, you’ve read hundreds of mysteries and are enthused about Sherlock Holmes tales, THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is actually pretty predictable. Set in the Victorian Era, it promises to instil fear in you. Before Jack the Ripper, there was Golem- such is the tagline and you do want it to be the kind of movie that keeps you guessing until the very end as to the true identity of the killer.   Unlike the Jack the Ripper legend, Golem is easily recognizable in the very first instance the character is introduced.

Delirium (2018)— My take on the movie with spoilers!

PLOT SUMMARY: After leaving the asylum and put in house arrest, Tom begins to believe the house is either haunted or he is hallucinating.  Most times, when we think about criminals, we wonder what could possible have prompted them to fall into a life of crime.

Look Away— my take on the movie with spoilers!

Plot Summary: A bullied girl switches places with her reflection. She soon regrets her decision as people start dying.  What matters most? Looks or confidence? When we see someone for the first time, we do notice their looks, the way they dress. Personality and their ability to initiate and hold a conversation comes second, doesn't it? Imagine meeting someone who is good looking but is dull to the core. Now imagine someone with average looks but is someone you can have fun with or have an intellectual conversation. Which seems more attractive? Look Away takes a very bold stand where appearances are concerned. But also about self-confidence. In the end, the only argument it makes is that one cannot possess both attributes. LOOK AWAY Movie Plot  We are introduced to a timid girl, Maria whose father is a plastic surgeon. Her mother is shown to have no say of her own. She is left to watch her husband ridicule his daughter about not being careful with her looks. Maria has a friend Lily